SCHS EVENTS AND EDUCATIONAL COORDINATOR
The South Carolina Historical Society (SCHS), located in Charleston, is a vibrant and professionally operated repository for the State’s history, culture, and diversity. The organization’s mission is to expand, preserve, and make accessible its invaluable collection, and to encourage interest and pride in the rich history of the State of South Carolina. The SCHS seeks an organized, highly-motivated and detail-oriented individual for a full-time position as Events and Educational Coordinator. This staff member manages the programs sponsored by the SCHS, events that occur in the Fireproof Building, and outreach to SCHS members and teachers throughout the state.
The successful candidate will possess the following skills: Ability to effectively communicate the mission and goals of the South Carolina Historical Society to audiences or individuals, writing and speaking skills and the ability to express thoughts and ideas clearly; ability to efficiently prioritize, meet deadlines, and work independently; effectively utilize Altru, Microsoft Office, and other software used by SCHS; background in South Carolina Social Studies curriculum; and knowledge of programming that will enhance the SCHS through public recognition, membership development, and income generation.
- Works with the Director of Development to plan and execute programs for groups/individuals who are not currently members of the SCHS to raise awareness of the Society. Strives to organize programs outside the Charleston region using schools, senior centers, libraries, and other low- cost venues.
- Works with the archival staff to coordinate to programs for teachers and students to help educators use and appreciate the holdings of the SCHS.
- Works with the volunteer supervisor to maintain a group of docents to help design and implement a variety of programming for SCHS.
- Responsible for planning, promoting and executing Society programs including Annual Meeting, tours, lecture series and receptions. Works out timelines to ensure events progress in a timely manner. Negotiates contracts with historical organizations, caterers, venues, city officials, and publishers. Also obtains necessary permits and insurance to implement programs.
- Provides historical research for tour notes on homes and areas toured as well as for themed events. Research historical facts, and dates, to administer the SCHS Facebook account.
- Works with homeowners, volunteers, docents, board members, to insure success of events throughout the state and partners with local historical organizations to produce significant programming events.
- Responsible for invoicing and collection of payments for events. Checks Society deposits for accuracy, provides copy of checks, and makes bank deposits.
- Partners with the Palmetto Society to celebrate Carolina Day by securing necessary permits, designing and sending out applications to participants.
- This job does require service during nights and weekends. Some travel is involved.
Bachelors or equivalent degree as acceptable to SCHS management.
This is a full-time position. The salary is $30,500.00 + partial payment of benefits.
Please email a cover letter; resume; and contact information for three references by March 6, 2015 to Faye Jensen, Executive Director at email@example.com.