The South Carolina Historical Society sponsors a number of events for members and their guests throughout the year. From the South Carolina History Lecture Series and our Annual Meeting to Carolina Day and the Fall Tour, we hope you will join us!
Here are just a few of the events we have planned:
June 28, 2013: Carolina Day
Carolina Day celebrates the American victory at the Battle of Sullivan’s Island on June 28, 1776. Colonel William Moultrie commanded Fort Sullivan that fateful day when, despite being outgunned and outmanned, he and the Second South Carolina Regiment repelled assaults by the Royal Navy and the British Army. The first Carolina Day was celebrated in 1777, and the Palmetto Society and the South Carolina Historical Society continue the commemoration today.
September 20-22: Museum Mile Weekend
Join the South Carolina Historical Society as we participate in Charleston’s 5th annual Museum Mile. Thirteen cultural organizations will open their doors the weekend of September 20-22, presenting special programs and exhibits to the public.
September 28: Smithsonian Museum Day
In the spirit of Smithsonian Museums, who offer free admission every day, Museum Day Live! is an annual event hosted by Smithsonian magazine in which participating museums across the country open their doors to anyone presenting a Museum Day Ticket…for free.
October 27: Fall Tour
The SCHS Annual Fall Tour of homes will be held Sunday, October 27, 2013. The majority of historic sites are privately owned and graciously shared with the South Carolina Historical Society. The area of South Carolina hosting the tour varies each year.
- April 21-22, 2012: “The Road Home” stage production
- April 23 & 30: Family History Genealogy Classes
- July 28, 2012: Hike to Ellicott and Commissioner’s Rock
- September 29: The Adventures of Gia the Giraffe
- October 28, 2012: 2012 Fall Tour-Jasper County
- November 15, 2012: Pre-holiday book signing and drop-in
- Jan. 22-March 12, 2013: Winter Lecture Series
- March 28, 2013: Book Launch: A Confederate Englishman
- April 25, 2013: An Evening Honoring Robert Mills
Check back regularly for updates!
For more details about our programs, please contact Virginia Ellison at (843) 723-3225, ext. 11.