The South Carolina Historical Society sponsors a number of events for members and their guests throughout the year. From the South Carolina History Lecture Series and our Annual Meeting to Carolina Day and the Fall Tour, we hope you will join us!
Here are just a few of the events we have planned:
January 21- March 11, 2014: 2014 Winter Lecture Series: People You Should Know: Remarkable South Carolinians, 1700 – 1860
In 2014, the South Carolina Historical Society will present its seventh annual Winter Lecture series, People You Should Know: Remarkable South Carolinians, 1700 – 1860. Beginning Tuesday, January 21, noted historians will discuss the trailblazers who left an indelible mark and the events that shaped us all.
June 28, 2014: Carolina Day
Carolina Day celebrates the American victory at the Battle of Sullivan’s Island on June 28, 1776. On this day forces under Colonels William Moultrie and William Thomson repelled assaults by the Royal Navy and the British Army. The first Carolina Day was celebrated in 1777, and the Palmetto Society and the South Carolina Historical Society continue the commemoration today.
- March 28, 2013: Book Launch: A Confederate Englishman
- April 25, 2013: An Evening Honoring Robert Mills
- September 28, 2013: Smithsonian Museum Day
- October 3, 2013: Creating the Carolinas: An SC/NC Borders Talk
- October 26, 2013: Fort Sumter Cruise & Commemoration
- October 27, 2013: Annual Fall Tour- Cooper River Ramblings
- November 9, 2013: Unearthing Treasures: Tracing Your African American Ancestors at the South Carolina Historical Society
- February 8, 2014: Annual Meeting
Check back regularly for updates!
For more details about our programs, please contact Virginia Ellison at (843) 723-3225, ext. 11.