The South Carolina Historical Society sponsors a number of events for members and their guests throughout the year. From the South Carolina History Lecture Series and our Annual Meeting to Carolina Day and the Fall Tour, we hope you will join us!
Here are just a few of the events we have planned:
The SCHS event “A Conversation on the Siege of Charleston, 1863-1865″
with Dr. Walter Edgar and Dr. Stephen Wise can be found here on
C-SPAN 3: American History TV
Tuesday, June 16, 2015: “Working on the Dock of the Bay”
Although waterfront laborers and dock workers played a significant role in port cities, little attention has been given to those working in the pre-Civil War American South. On Tuesday, June 16, Dr. Michael Thompson will present a lecture based on his book Working on the Dock of the Bay: Labor and Enterprise in an Antebellum Southern Port, exploring the history of Charleston’s waterfront laborers—black and white, enslaved and free, native and immigrant—during the antebellum period.
Saturday, June 27, 2015: Carolina Day
On Saturday, June 27, the South Carolina Historical Society and the Palmetto Society will host Carolina Day 2015. Carolina Day commemorates the American victory over the British at the Battle of Sullivan’s Island on June 28, 1776. Join us as we celebrate the 239th anniversary of one of the most surprising and decisive American triumphs of the Revolutionary War!
- July 12, 2014: Unearthing Treasures: Tracing Your African American Ancestors
- September 27, 2014: Smithsonian Museum Day Live!
- September 30, 2014: A Conversation on the Siege of Charleston, 1863-1865
- November 2, 2014: Camden: Exploring its Rich History Fall Tour
- January 20-March 10, 2015: Winter Lecture Series: People You Should Know, Remarkable South Carolinians, Part II
- February 28, 2015: 160th Annual Meeting
Check back regularly for updates!
For more details about our programs, please contact Ashley Darland at (843) 723-3225, ext. 111.